Wednesday, October 21, 2009

"Ain't that just like the present to be showing up like that?" -Bon Iver

Sick kids... no fun.

Actually, I don't think C is sick. He's either teething or generally pissed off about life or having some kind of strange mid-infancy/toddler crisis. Basically, it's like being at home with a hormonal teenager/menopausal woman/angry drunk little old man. Fortunately when he's having his good moments he cheeses it up and makes me remember to "take a break don't shake."

A is puke-y. No fever and she's in a generally good disposition. I told her she was doing a good job by throwing up in the potty and she turned to me as she was closing the lid and said, "Well thank you!" Like it was some huge compliment she'd been waiting for all night.

She's laying in bed watching Disney. C is asleep in the stroller in the living room. Yesterday he didn't want to be set down at all and hello, I am a wee person with no upper body strength and dude is a chunk! After carrying him around for, no lie, 3 hours and trying to decide how to quiet the possessed child that I was on the verge of breaking up with I remembered how M's mom said she would walk him around in a stroller at night to get him to calm down. Holy mother of Jesus! It worked. We did some laps yesterday and he never called it a night. This morning though, right after breakfast when he wanted to be held immediately after getting out of his chair, I busted out that stroller... did some laps and wham bam thank you ma'am... the kid is snoozing.

It's overwhelming at times doing this single mom gig... especially when I know that the more days I miss of school the further back I'm pushing my final day... which means the further away from a viable income I am. I'm really just trying to take on the obstacles as they come instead of getting all bent out of shape. Yes, school's gonna take a little bit longer (like a month or two). Yes, my bills are... well, we're not even going to talk about those. Life is not perfect, but as I sit here in the house with the rain coming down outside, Bon Iver on the stereo, my precious kids sick... but still being amazing... I am content.

No comments:

Post a Comment