Sunday, January 2, 2011

A moment, a love / a dream, aloud / a kiss, a cry / our rights, our wrongs - Sweet Disposition/Temper Trap

School starts tomorrow and I'm feeling quite torn about it. I'll miss lounging around with the kids, but I won't miss being at 2, sometimes 4, little folks' beck and call. I'll miss not having to rush out of the house in the morning, but I am ever so happy that the lovely children are going to be back in school.

One of my Christmas presents that I asked for was a book called "Soul Pancake" by Rainn Wilson (the guy who plays Dwight on The Office). It "urges you to explore philosophy, creativity, spirituality, love, truth, science and so much more", apparently. I've been reading a lot about religions lately. I think because I'm trying to figure out what my stance is on religion/spirituality/God/Flying Spaghetti Monster/whatever. My childhood was spent being a Jehovah's Witness and my mom's side, minus my mom, is still practicing. I did the whole Baptist thing in high school. Had a sudden "spiritual awakening" whenever Matt's mom died and kindda sorta did the church thing because I felt I needed to find Jesus since I had a kid and one on the way.

Since splitting from Matt, I have been less than moved to find Jesus... I guess if I had to classify myself at this point in time, I would say I was agnostic. It's not that I don't want to believe in something, I just don't know what's true and what's not... if there is anything that is exactly true. There just seems to be a lot of picking and choosing and how do you know which one has picked and chosen the exact right combination.

Meh... anyway, you're supposed to ponder on "life's big questions" in this Soul Pancake book, so I figured that I might as well get it all in writing because sometimes I don't think you really know how you feel until you try and verbalize it.

So onto question #1:
How do you determine truth?
For the simple things in life, I rely on Google. The bigger questions get a little bit more complicated. I used to just go for what I was told. The older I become, the more inquisitive I am. I like to make an informed opinion and it may change the next day, but at least I feel like I'm trying to educate myself instead of just being spoon fed information. Other things, I think it just comes down to how you feel in your heart, your gut.

Funny thing when it comes to truth, even though Matt and I are divorced, I spent so much time figuring out when he was lying that I can still call his bullshit over a phone call. I sometimes think I should be a private detective.

No comments:

Post a Comment